Book/Movie Review Submission Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in submitting a book or movie review. The following guidelines have been compiled for those making a contribution. If you have any questions or comments regarding these guidelines, direct them to the student editor at Student.Editor@esc.edu.
Things to follow when submitting a book/movie/event review:
- Review must be original.
- Review must be well-written and informative and should include the following components:
- Give your opinion without being cutting or demeaning.
- Provide impartial details.
- Provide an outline of the book, movie, or event without giving away spoilers.
- Discuss whether the storyline was predictable or thought provoking.
- List main characters/actors and your thoughts about how they were written or acted.
- Discuss setting/tone for books and cinematography/musical score for movies. (Optional)
- Submit reviews in Microsoft Word document format (.doc or .docx) only, as an email attachment.
- Limit reviews to about 500 words.
- Use single spacing after punctuation.
- Regardless of submission style, all reviews will post in the same format (Arial, size 10).
Book/Movie Review title and author information:
- Include title and author/director of book or movie.
- Capitalize only the first letter of each word in the title.
- Include the author’s name, student, SUNY Empire State College location (if applicable).
The subject matter of submitted reviews must be appropriate in language and content for a collegewide publication.
- Write at a level appropriate for a college-level audience.
- Do not use profanity.
- Avoid biased or derogatory language.
- Personal point of view pieces about religion, politics, controversial personal issues or product promotion will not be accepted.
Submitting reviews gives The Student Connection the rights to publish and edit, if needed. The newsletter editor will review all submissions and make changes for readability, organization and Associated Press style. The staff editorial board will review and must approve before publication. The date a review is published will be determined by the editor.
The completed bi-weekly newsletter is always available on The Student Connection page.