Definition: Ethical responsibility is the ability to recognize, interpret and act upon multiple principles and values according to the standards within a given field and/or context.
Students explore various complexities, dynamics and issues surrounding behavior and ethical practices in order to understand best ways to make decisions and resolve issues at personal, group and societal levels.
Expand the headings to view the content.
- How did I learn about the ethics in this field? What do I agree/disagree with?
- How do I exemplify the ethics and principles in this field? How I have I taught them to others?
- How have I handled a situation in an ethical or unethical manner? How did it challenge me?
- How did I form my own code of ethics? Who influenced this? How do I determine right from wrong?
- How do I assess ethical and unethical behavior in myself and others?
- collaborations, partnerships, teamwork
- service learning
- social/political action activities, community advocacy, social advocacy
- leadership roles
- ethical training certificates
- teaching others, conducting trainings, leading workshops
- development of policies, practices, standards, criteria, organizational mission
- examples of ethical dilemmas and solutions
- demonstrates an understanding of a range of principles, standards and values involved in making ethical decisions and the application of knowledge
- engages in decision making according to the standards of practice and ethics of the field
- communicates situations, information and outcomes to others accurately and based on ethical standards of the field
- reflects upon one's own actions and implications in situations and takes responsibility for actions while working with others and/or solving problems.
- recognizes different perspectives and analyzes situations to provide best solutions under particular circumstances according to the standards of practice and ethics of the field
- develops an ethical framework based on the field’s standards of practice and takes responsibilities for decision making and actions based on this framework in various and unpredictable contexts
- participates in the formation of mission, vision and values in a field or organization
- assesses the impact of different activities on the environment, society and the field and develops a sense of social responsibility while making judgments and decisions on these activities.