Transfer Appeals Process

When you transfer into Empire State College, all courses taken at other SUNY institutions are eligible for transfer credit. You will work with your faculty mentor to determine which of your prior courses are appropriate to your degree program plan. If you do not agree with the college's decision on the granting or placement of credit that you earned at another SUNY institution, you have the right to submit an appeal.

The college appeals process includes an informal resolution procedure, as well as a procedure for formal appeal of an academic decision. We strongly encourage you to attempt an informal resolution before making a formal appeal.

An overview of the appeals process is found below. Consult the Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure for more details on the appeals process.

Procedure for Informal Resolution

The informal resolution process includes two possible steps. You first should discuss the matter directly with the party who made or represented the academic decision (tutor, mentor, assessment committee representative, assessment professional, etc.) and make a reasonable effort to resolve the issue. This must begin within 30 calendar days of receiving the academic decision.

If no resolution is reached through the first approach, or if you are uncomfortable trying to resolve the issue directly with the appropriate party, you can request an informal resolution by the center dean or program director (or designee). This step must occur within 45 calendar days of the original academic decision.

Procedure for Formal Appeal

Whether or not you have attempted an informal resolution as described above, you may initiate a formal appeal of an academic decision within 60 calendar days of receipt of the decision. An academic review committee (ARC) will consider your appeal as detailed in the Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure.

To request a formal appeal, you must submit a written appeal to the center or program administrator and include:

  • a full description of the academic decision and the basis for your appeal
  • a statement of the resolution you seek
  • learning contract
  • course outcomes and evaluations (evaluations of prior learning; and written academic decisions made by assessment committees, academic review committees, center or program administrators, or other academic staff)
  • information on when and with whom you may have attempted any informal resolution
  • any other supporting documents.

The administrator will transmit the appeal to the academic review committee and provide a copy to any other relevant parties within seven days of receiving the appeal. The administrator also will ensure that the ARC review takes place in a timely manner. You have the right to appeal the decision made by the ARC. Please refer to the Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure for more details.

Further Appeals Process for Students Transferring from a SUNY Institution

If you have exhausted the appeals process at the college and you still do not agree with the college's decision, or you have not received a response within 15 business days, you may appeal to the SUNY system provost. You can submit the appeal by filling out a student appeal form and sending it with requested material to:

or send via certified mail to:

Dr. David Lavallee
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
SUNY System Administration
One University Plaza
Albany, NY 12246

The SUNY provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action.

If you have questions about this process, please contact Robert Kraushaar at Visit the SUNY provost website for more details about the SUNY appeals process and to obtain the necessary forms.