Practice Exercises: Writing, Reading, Grammar
Practice exercises to review what you have learned and identify any areas that need more focus.
Research Writing Exercises
- Exercise: Can the topic be researched?
- Exercise: Is the research question too broad or too narrow?
- Worksheet: Evaluate your own research question
- Exercise: Choose the best research thesis
- Exercise: Evaluating sources
- Exercise : Distinguish between summaries and paraphrases
Critical Reading Exercises
- Worksheet: Exercise for while you read
- Worksheet: Authority of the writer
- Worksheet: Logic of the writer's argument
- Worksheet: How the writer gets your interest
- Worksheet: Writer's use of language and style
- Worksheet: Ideology that informs the text
- Worksheet: Examining your reactions
- Exercise 1a: Basic noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 1b: Advanced noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 2a: Basic agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 2b: Advanced agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 3: Agreement when words come between the noun and verb
- Exercise 4: Noun-pronoun agreement
- Exercise 1: The difference between primary and secondary sources
- Exercise 2: Sample search
- Exercise 3: Documenting within the paper - MLA
- Exercise 4: Documenting within the paper - APA
- Exercise 5: Documenting within the paper - Turabian
- Exercise 6: Documenting at end of paper - MLA
- Exercise 7: Documenting at end of paper - APA
- Exercise 8: Documenting at end of paper - Turabian
- Exercise 9: Where to document
Writer's Complex Copyright
The content in Writing Resources originally was created for the Writer's Complex website by Cathy Copley, Larry Greenberg, Elaine Handley, Susan Oaks and contributors. Copyright 1995-96, SUNY Empire State College.
Catherine Copley (File Cabinet, The Write Way)
Gary Goss (Language Games, reviewer)
Larry Greenberg (technical design)
Elaine Handley (Research Room, Grammar Workout, Punctuation Points)
Loretta Lussier (technical design assistant)
Lisa Mastrangelo (Essay Writing)
Bob Miner (Style Room)
Susan Oaks (Research Room, Grammar Workout, Punctuation Points, Essay Writing)
Alexandra Pickett (graphic design)
Jim Robinson (Writing Book Reviews)
Matthew Sanders (Essay Writing)
Herb Shapiro (reviewer)
Stephanie Thomas (technical design)
Joe Woods (Style Room)
- The Writer's Complex was copyrighted in 1996. It may be used as an Internet resource, but should not be modified under any circumstances.
- The Writer's Complex may not be printed, resold or redistributed for compensation without prior written permission from SUNY Empire State College.
- The Writer's Complex cannot be printed, reused or redistributed if credit is not given to SUNY Empire State College, Catherine Copley, Larry Greenberg, Elaine Handley and Susan Oaks.