Flexible Study Options
At Empire State College, you choose how and where you study. Flexible study options enable you to pursue a degree in a manner and place that works for you.
Associate and Bachelor's Study Options
Blend different modes of learning to meet your needs:
- Guided Independent Study
- Work one-to-one with a faculty mentor in-person, online or by telephone whenever it's convenient.
- Online Courses
- Take online courses that include access to faculty, fellow students, and other online resources — from anywhere in the world.
- Study Groups
- Participate in periodic small-group meetings with other students. Visit the study groups page to find information on upcoming study groups in each region of New York state.
- Attend weekend seminars to explore topics in depth in a group setting (note: not applicable to all programs of study). Visit the residencies website for more details.
- Cross Registration
- Take some classes at other accredited colleges for a more traditional classroom experience.
Master's Study Options
Masters' students take most of their courses online. Online study is complemented by individual meetings with faculty, periodic small group seminars and several weekend residencies.