Master of Business Administration in Business Management
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Business Management is a 36-credit, fully online program designed for aspiring, early and mid-career managers and professionals interested in enhancing their functional and professional skills and knowledge for career growth and advancement. Throughout the program, students will develop and improve their critical and strategic thinking, problem-solving, ethical decision making, leadership, and managerial communication skills, develop cross-cultural competence and sensitivity, and apply and practice management strategies in various contexts. The program also provides opportunity for specialization in two areas, Management and International Business. In addition to their specialized master’s degree, students can also incorporate an advanced graduate certificate into their degree program and earn a second credential.
This 36-credit hour program is delivered through online instruction, providing flexibility and convenience for working professionals and adult learners. Full-time enrollment for students who want to complete the program in 20 months requires enrolling in 9 credits per term and in 3 to 6 credits during the summer. Part-time students may complete the program in 27 months.
This program builds upon foundation requirements in statistics (3 credits), macroeconomics/microeconomics (3-6 credits), and accounting (3 credits). These requirements can be met by either undergraduate or graduate coursework with similar content completed prior to entering the program or by incorporating the following foundation courses (0-9 credits) into your degree (36-45 credits):
- Financial Accounting
- Principles of Economics
- Applied Business Statistics
If it is determined that you need to fulfill any of these foundation requirements, it will be stated in your admission letter. If required, the foundation courses must be completed in order to continue in the program beyond the first year.
Opening Courses (6 credits)
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior (3 credits)
- Strategic Perspectives of Global Management (3 credits)
Functional Courses (18 credits)
- Financial Management (3 credits)
- High Performance Management (3 credits)
- Management Information Systems (3 credits)
- Operations Management (3 credits)
- Managerial Economics (3 credits)
- Strategic Marketing Management (3 credits)
International Business Track
- International Financial Management (3 credits)
- Global Leadership Competencies (3 credits)
- Global E-Commerce Strategies (3 credits)
- Global Supply Chain Management (3 credits)
- Economics for Global Managers (3 credits)
- Global Marketing Strategies (3 credits)
Elective Courses (9 credits)
You choose three elective courses to reflect your interests and to reinforce the individual focus of your degree. Many students choose to incorporate one of the advanced graduate certificates into their master’s degree as their focus area.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Alignment
SHRM has acknowledged that SUNY Empire State College’s MBA in Business Management with a specialization in Human Resource Management has received renewal of its alignment with SHRM’s HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates until December, 2020. Throughout the world, 451 programs in 341 educational institutions have been acknowledged by SHRM as being in alignment with its suggested guides and templates. The HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates were developed by SHRM to define the minimum HR content areas that should be studied by HR students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Capstone Project (3 credits)
- Strategic Business Applications (3 credits)
- Application and Admission Requirements
- IACBE Accreditation
- Enrollment Sequence
- Transfer Credit
- MBA Assurance of Learning Outcomes Assessment: IACBE Public Disclosure of Student Learning Form (PDF 731kB)
Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read PDF documents. If Acrobat Reader is not installed on your computer, you can download it for free from Adobe.