Literature, Communications, and Cultural Studies
Degree Planning Resources
Guidelines and Course Maps
Cultural Studies Area of Study Guidelines
Cultural Studies Area of Study Course Map (PDF 389kB)
Previous Cultural Studies Area of Study Guidelines (for students who matriculated prior to Fall 2021)
Cultural Studies with a Concentration in Communication and Media Guidelines
Communication and Media Concentration Course Map (PDF 474kB)
- Degree Planning and Assessment (login required)
- Accessibility Resources and Services (login required)
- Educational Planning: Mapping your learning (OER text)
- iPLA Worksheet and Guides
The college has a number of resources and tools to help you in your learning. Pay particular attention to writing support, support with math, academic support and study skills. Academic Support online workshops are also offered throughout the year on a wide range of topics. These resources and tools are available at the Academic Support website and in MyESC, Academic Support (login required).
The SUNY Empire State College Online Library also has many workshops and resources for students, including help with APA and MLA citation styles, and searching for and identifying scholarly sources.
Sample Degree Program Plans
Sample degree program plans illustrate the degree program format and provide examples of some different types of individualized degree programs. The degree program is divided into two columns. The column on the left lists all the courses in the concentration, while the column on the right lists all of the general learning courses. SUNY Empire State College students work closely with their faculty mentors to design their own degree programs that meet the student’s needs and goals.
- A.A. with a concentration in Writing and Literature (PDF 125kB)
- B.A. with a concentration in Literature (PDF 125kB)
- B.A. with a concentration in English (PDF 128kB)
- B.A. with a concentration in Spanish Language and Literature (PDF 129kB)
- B.A. with a concentration in Communications and Media (PDF 133kB)
- B.S. with a concentration in Communication Arts – Public Relations (PDF 133kB)