The Empire State College Academic Support team is here to help you successfully complete your courses and develop your academic skills. You will find a broad range of academic support programs, services and resources in a variety of learning modes including online, phone, and in-person at select locations. All are free of charge and the selection of available resources is always growing.
JumpStart Your Empire State College Success Story
Academic support begins right away at Empire State College. Within the first two weeks of your first term, JumpStart events are held online and at select locations. to help you with the transition to the college and our modes of study. JumpStart events include multiple workshops and drop-in hours on topics you need to know for a successful start to the term, some of which are Mastering BrightSpace; Reading Strategies; and Balancing School, Family and Work.
Tutoring on Your Schedule
Tutoring and academic coaching are available 24/7 for both undergraduate and graduate students. While tutoring is available in a broad range of subjects, the most commonly requested areas are writing, math, accounting, and general study skills, such as time management. Individual sessions are customized to your needs, and small group sessions may be linked to your specific courses. Available options are listed below.
- SUNY Empire Professional Learning Coaches, available online, by phone, and at select locations
- 24/7 Online Tutoring with on-demand service
- Peer Tutors, available online
For more information on scheduling a tutoring appointment, current students should visit MyESC Academic Support.
Online Resources to Improve Your Assignments
We know your time is valuable. Sometimes all you need is a quick tool or tip to help you complete your assignment. We know when you need this type of help, you don’t want to interrupt your work to schedule an appointment. These types of tools are available online at any time and for anyone. Consider sharing these tools with a friend or colleague—that friend just might come back to school with you!
- Visit the Library to connect with a Librarian, search for sources, attend an At-Home Library workshop and more.
- Use the Assignment Calculator to help plan your time and find resources for writing assignments.
- Check out the Thesis Generator to help you get started with your papers.
- View these quick videos for tips and strategies for college writing, reading and math.
- View writing resources for answers to commonly asked questions.
- Explore resources on a wide range of study skills (academic reading, note-taking systems, time management, etc.).
Academic Skills Workshops to Support Your Success
When you are entering college, sometimes you need a quick skills refresher. Other times, you need to learn something for the first time. With over 80 live, online workshops each major term, there is something for everyone who comes to SUNY Empire State College. Multiple workshops are offered in each of the following categories:
- Balancing School, Work, and Family
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Writing College Papers (research papers, essays, etc.)
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- College Reading Strategies
- Managing Your Mindset
- Completing your Assignments using Word and Excel
Current students should visit MyESC Academic Support for the full workshop list and registration link.
An Online Library that is Always Open
Using the Library is an important part of the academic experience, and the Librarians at SUNY Empire State College are an excellent resource for every student. Whether you are searching for resources or chatting with a librarian, the online library is always open.
- Visit the college's online library
- Learn search strategies and techniques
- Learn about academic integrity and avoiding plagiarism
- Take part in an "@ Home" Live Library Workshop
Technology for College and Career Success
In today’s college and work environments, you will be expected to have a broad range of technology skills to manage information. We understand that the number of online skills needed can feel overwhelming, and we are here to help. SUNY Empire State College offers training and resources to support your success in online learning and information management.
- Online sessions to help you navigate your online course space, Brightspace, or Blackboard
- SUNY Empire Learning Coaches (professional tutors) and Peer Tutors to help you learn Office 365 programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MS Teams, etc.)
For questions or additional information regarding available services, email Academic.Support@esc.edu.