NYC Paraprofessional Program
This program is offered to New York City Paraprofessionals through the Empire State College Education Studies department in partnership with the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) Teacher Center, the New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) Education and Learning Trust, and the Department of Education (DOE).
College classes leading toward a SUNY Empire State College degree are held each term online and at Empire State College and UFT locations throughout the boroughs.
- Tuition costs are covered by your college tuition voucher, up to 6 credits.
- Credits received may be eligible for use toward salary upgrades.
- Students gain information and understanding that helps to better serve pupils.
- Academic guidance is available to help you earn an associate or bachelor’s degree.
- Courses are developed to meet state of New York standards, and will help your school meet performance benchmarks.
- Instructors provide skills in classroom practices, including classroom management, time management, student teacher interaction, problem solving, and stress management.
Benefits of the Program
- Improve your skills – Courses are offered in computers and information resources, conducting research, writing academic papers and more.
- Build self-confidence – As a student, you become a role model for your own students and your own children.
- Obtain a college degree – You will receive mentoring and advising to help you achieve the degree of your choice.
- Join a community of learners – The program emphasizes the dignity of each individual and uses the culture and experiences of the diverse population of paraprofessionals to enrich the classroom experience.
- It’s convenient – Classes are held online and at Empire State College and UFT locations in your borough after work.