Definition: Specialized knowledge includes a range of factual, theoretical and practical knowledge, as well as competencies and skills in a particular discipline or profession.
Students use their specialized knowledge to understand the field and its interconnectedness and limits.
Expand the headings to view the content.
- What are my accomplishments in my area?
- What skills and competencies have I gained?
- What different techniques and approaches have I learned over time?
- What are some of the theoretical concepts that go along with the practices in my area?
- What are some of the principles involved in my knowledge? How have these principles impacted the ways I think about or use my knowledge?
- When I apply my knowledge, what are the reasons behind its application?
- What are the historical roots of my area? How have these impacted the field? How has it changed over time?
- What do I understand now that I did not understand when I first started learning about my area?
- What is new and exciting in my field?
- What main ideas would I need to teach someone else so that they can learn this area?
- certificates, licenses
- certifications of completion or participation
- non-credit courses: open courses, MOOCs, workshops
- reports, publications, charts, graphs
- multi-media examples: videos, images, audio
- work samples
- builds on prior knowledge, skills and competencies
- demonstrates use of broad and specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- demonstrates use of relevant theories, methodologies, practices and quantitative applications
- analyzes information and constructs a coherent argument to address concerns and/or solve problems
- demonstrates an awareness of the changing boundaries of knowledge in a specific field.
- demonstrates advanced knowledge of and critical insight into the theories, principles and practices in a field
- applies appropriate methods, tools, and quantitative applications for various purposes and settings
- evaluates factual knowledge and uses appropriate strategies to solve problems in complex and varied applications
- integrates and synthesizes knowledge gained from various sources
- demonstrates an awareness of innovations in the field.