IRB Application Form
The Institutional Review Board Protocol Application (PDF 148kB) should be downloaded, completed, saved and submitted by email to IRB.Review@esc.edu.
In addition to the application above, researchers engaged in a project that involves subjects from outside the United States should add an addendum that answers the following supplemental questions:
- Are local research reviews required in this location? If so, attach a copy of the approved protocol.
- Describe the international site(s). Provide location, name of local contact or investigator and local contact information, as applicable.
- Describe any cultural, political, religious, or other local influences that may affect conduct of the proposed research and how these will be addressed (e.g., issues posing potential threats, requiring changes in recruitment methods, etc.).
- Describe any local exceptions to the required consent process and how these will be addressed (e.g., a request from outsiders to sign documents would be treated with suspicion based on customs, previous history, etc.).
- List the language(s) in which the research will be conducted. Indicate whether a member of the research team is fluent in the language of the potential participants. If not, describe the provisions in place to provide translation services throughout the duration of the study.
- What is the age of majority in this location? Will any participant be younger than this age?
- Identify any benefits to the local community that will remain with the community once the research is complete.
- Describe the researchers’ experience with conducting research (or studying or residing) in the research setting, including any relationship(s) with the community from which participants will be recruited.
For a list of regulations, laws and guidelines pertaining to international human subjects research for selected countries, see International Compilation of Human Research Protections.
Note: PDF files require that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, contact your center computer technician or download it free.