ELL/ESL Resources (English-language Learners/English as a Second Language)
There are many excellent web-based resources that address the needs of students who are nonnative speakers of English called either "ELL" (English-language Learners) and/or "ESL" (English as a Second Language) students, terms which are used interchangeably on this site.
The annotated list of resources has been grouped into several categories:
- General ESL/ELL Resources
- College Writing for ESL/ELL Students
- TOEFL Preparation (test of English as a foreign language)
General ELL/ESL Resources
- Activities for ESL Students (published by The Internet TESL Journal)
- An extensive, diverse collection of prescreened online activities for ESL students of all levels and their instructors and a link to The Internet TESL (teaching English as a second language) Journal, which is a valuable resource for teachers.
- Dave’s ESL Cafe (created by Dave Sperling, The English Language Institute at San Diego State University)
- A favorite of many students and their instructors. This megasite for ESL students and teachers organizes approximately 3,000 links into more than 100 categories, including conferences, poetry, phonics, lesson plans, linguistics, grammar, writing, literacy, business English, public speaking, publishers, translation, listening, bookstores, mailing lists and more.
- English as a Second Language (created by Rong-Chang Li)
- The hub of hundreds of free learning sites for ESL students and teachers. The site addresses areas including listening, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, lesson plans, newspapers, magazines, business English, ESP, pronunciation, quizzes, idioms, methods, games and dictionaries.
College Writing for ESL/ELL Students
The resources listed here address writing for college assignments and can be helpful to all students seeking help with a written assignment. Some resources include information specifically for ESL students; the more general sites provide a wide range of advice, exercises and interactive tools.
- Advice on Academic Writing (created by Dr. Margaret Procter, coordinator, writing support, University of Toronto)
- A straightforward site from the University of Toronto that presents writing and grammar information on the college level in many categories including reading, book review and article critique; writing an annotated bibliography; the lab report; writing about history, physics, poetry, art history; style and editing; grammar and punctuation for TESOL (teachers of English as a second language) students; and specific types of writing.
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant (created by Chuck Guilford)
- An award-winning online writer’s guide and handbook for writers at every level.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) (published by the OWL at Purdue University and Purdue University)
- An extensive site dedicated to assisting users with numerous aspects of writing. Online help is offered in handouts and materials; downloadable PowerPoint workshops and presentations; an excellent search engine associated with Purdue; and current and back issues of a student newsletter about writing.
- Writer's Web (published by the University of Richmond)
- This site is organized to reflect the stages in the writing process and links to topics such as getting started; writing first drafts; focusing and connecting ideas, analysis and argument; peer-editing strategies; sentence structure and mechanics; editing for clarity and style; and documentation and punctuation.
- TOEFL Go Anywhere
- This is the Educational Testing Service (ETS) site for the TOEFL. It offers online registration, a description of the exam, practice tests and links to other sites offering TOEFL preparation, English-language instruction and tips for studying abroad.
Don't forget: if you would like assistance with this or any other type of writing assignment, learning coaches are available to assist you. Please contact Academic Support by emailing Academic.Support@esc.edu; calling 1-800-847-3000, ext. 3008; or calling the main number of the location in your region (see Academic Support Regional Contact Information for more information).
Questions or feedback about SUNY Empire's Collegewide Writing Support?
Contact us at Academic.Support@esc.edu.