Updates Regarding the Student Accounting Records and Payment System
The progress of this work will be communicated on MyESC, Student Accounts.
1098-T Tuition Statements
Empire State College is required to send 1098-T tuition statements to all students who meet the criteria set by the Internal Revenue Service. This statement provides student account details that help determine eligibility for an educational tax credit. Data reported are:
- Student name, address and taxpayer identification number(TIN) or social security number (SSN)
- The amounts billed on the student’s account for qualified tuition and related expenses
- Adjustments made for a prior year of amounts billed of qualified tuition and related expenses (any prior year)
- Scholarships, grants or sponsorship administered and processed by ESC in the calendar year
- Adjustments to scholarships, grants or sponsorship for a prior year
- A check box if attending at least one-half the normal full-time workload at ESC
- A check box if enrolled in a program leading to a graduate degree or graduate certificate
The form does not report payments received. Students should use their Account Statement to view payment history.
The State University of New York Empire State College federal ID number reported on the 1098-T form is 16-1514621.
The information on the 1098-T is provided to assist students, or the person that can claim them as a dependent when filing for the education tax benefits/tax credit deductions, such as the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits. To learn if you qualify for a credit, and for help in calculating the amount of your credit see IRS Publication 970, Form 8863 and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions.
Not all students who receive a 1098-T are eligible to claim a deduction or credit.
Important Reminders About the 1098-T
- Forms are mailed by Jan. 31 from ECSI, the company chosen by State University of New York administration. You may expect to receive your form by early February. Your 1098-T will contain login instructions to use at ECSI's site.
- If you do not receive or lose your 1098-T, you may visit ECSI's Login Credentials Retrieval page to gain access to your information online. ESC's school code is TB. You also may reach ECSI by phone at 866-428-1098 or email@example.com.
- The college is not required to issue you a form if your qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or entirely paid with grants or scholarships, or if your qualified tuition and related expenses are paid via an agreement between your sponsor and the college.
While staff of Empire State College and ECSI may be able to answer certain questions about the 1098-T Tuition Statement, they cannot explain the requirements for educational tax credits. Please consult your tax professional.
The mission of SUNY Empire’s Student Accounts is to provide the best possible customer service to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Contact the Student Information Center at 518-587-2100 or ...800-847-3000