Financial Aid Refunds (Delivered Through BankMobile Disbursements)
Your financial aid package is based upon your entire cost of attendance. If your approved and authorized financial aid is more than the amount you owe the college, you will receive a financial aid refund when the college receives your financial aid funds.
At Empire State College, you are awarded the maximum amount of federal direct subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford student loans that you are eligible to receive for your academic level; freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or graduate. You are sent an award letter email from Financial Aid with the amounts of your awards. If you do not want to borrow the full amount of the awarded loans (excess funds after paying term registration and book charges), please send an email to Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting that your loan be reduced prior to the loan funds arriving on your account. You may designate to receive loan amounts to cover tuition, fees and book charges with no excess loans, or you may designate an amount less than the maximum awarded amount that would give you a smaller refund.
All financial aid refunds are processed through BankMobile Disbursements. Partnering with BankMobile Disbursements gives our students access to their refunds in a method that best suits their needs. For more information about BankMobile please visit: http://bankmobiledisbursements.com/refundchoices/.
You have three options on how to receive your refund:
• DEPOSIT TO AN EXISITING ACCOUNT – Money is transferred to an existing account the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school. Typically, it takes 1 – 2 business days for the receiving bank to credit the money to your account.
• DEPOSIT TO A BANKMOBILE VIBE ACCOUNT – If you open a BankMobile Vibe checking account (upon identity verification), money is deposited the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school.
• PAPER CHECK DELIVERED BY USPS – A check is mailed the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school, provided receipt is within daily cutoff times. Typically, it takes 5 – 7 business days for the check to arrive, depending on USPS First-Class® delivery timeframes.
If you are a newly matriculated student who has completed an updated FAFSA: You will receive a selection kit in the mail (look for the green envelope) from BankMobile Disbursements after you register for studies. You must have a U.S. address on file in order to receive a selection kit. The selection kit contains a letter which includes a personal code. Remember that the email address on your SUNY ESC account is the email that you will initially use with BankMobile. Keep a record of your password so you may access your BankMobile record in case you need to make changes. You may change your refund choice as often as you wish.
You are ultimately responsible for maintaining eligibility for your financial aid. Although we review your eligibility before issuing a financial aid refund, there are circumstances where you may receive a refund from financial aid for which you are no longer eligible. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- your aid is reduced or canceled
- you withdrew after the refund was issued.
In every case, regardless of the reason, if you receive a refund from financial aid that you are not eligible for, the funds must be returned.
We cannot issue a refund until your financial aid funds have actually arrived. With the exception of summer terms, this is usually six weeks into the term for students whose financial aid (including a Master Promissory Note for Direct Loans) was in place at the start of the term. If your aid is not in place by the term start, your refund will be delayed. For more information:
The mission of SUNY Empire’s Student Accounts is to provide the best possible customer service to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Contact the Student Information Center at 518-587-2100 or ...800-847-3000