Financial Aid

Guidelines for Eligible Citizen/Noncitizen Documentation

Summary Chart of Acceptable INS Documentation

Citizen Not Born in United States

Certificate of Citizenship must have student's name and application number, certificate number and the date the certificate was issued.
Certificate of Naturalization must have student's name and petition number, certificate number, alien registration number, name of the court and date where naturalization occurred.
Certificate of Birth Abroad form FS-545, DS-1350, or FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad must have embossed seal specifying "United States of America" and "State Department."
U.S. Passport

Noncitizen National

U.S. Passport must be stamped "Noncitizen National."

Permanent Resident

Alien Registration Receipt Card form I-151, I-551, or I-551C; I-551C must have a currently valid expiration date.
Passport must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date.
I-94 must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date, or "Temporary Form I-551," appropriate information filled in.

Other Eligible Citizen

Temporary Resident Card form I-688 must have expiration date.
Arrival-Departure Record form I-94 must be stamped as a Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant (before April 1, 1980), Parolee or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.*
Family Unity Status form I-797 approved "Application for Voluntary Departure Under Family Unity Program." Must also have I-797 with approved "Visa Petition for Spouse" or "Immigrant Petition for Relative."


Note: You must submit the original of the document(s) listed above. Copies can not be accepted. If you are unable to present the documentation to our office in person, you may mail the original document to us. We will then make an annoted copy for our files and return the original document to you. 

*Effective April 26, 2013, DHS began automating the admission process.  An alien lawfully admitted or paroled into the U.S. is no longer required to be in possession of a preprinted Form I-94. Students without I-94 documentation may have their status confirmed by a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) stamp, showing class of admission and date admitted, on their passport, although an I-551 is preferable, if available. 



View your Award (login required)

Student Financial Services home

Contact us

Fax: 518-581-2782

Mailing Address: 
Empire State College
Financial Aid
111 West Ave.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Questions? Contact the Student Information Center at 518-587-2100 or 800-847-3000.


Code: 010286
Name: SUC Empire State College

TAP Codes

Undergraduate: 0913
Graduate: 5680 (for graduate students applying for Veteran Tuition Awards)


The priority deadline to apply for financial aid for 2015-2016 is April 1, 2015.