Important Information for Students Enrolled Prior to Fall 1 2015 Term
New Grading and Evaluation Policy for Undergraduate Programs Effective Fall 1 2015 Term
Beginning with this Fall 1 2015 term, SUNY Empire State College has adopted a new grading and evaluation policy for undergraduate programs.
Key points to remember:
- Grades will be recorded on a scale of A to D- and F.
- The F grade will replace the no credit (NC) grade. This change is significant, as the F grade has a quality point of 0.00 and, unlike the NC grade, is included in the grade point average (GPA) calculation.*
- A failing (F) grade could negatively impact financial aid eligibility.
- Study/course completion and passing grades in every term are important. Grades affect not only your GPA, but also your satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.00 in order to maintain good academic standing and graduate.**
- Information on Grade Point Average (GPA) and Academic Standing
- tools to view current GPA and predict future GPA
- located on MyESC, MyRecords tab
- academic summary includes your GPA, in addition to your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status and enrollment history
- GPA calculator is now available to help you review and predict your GPA.
- a summary page of study/course work with GPA information
- your degree program, if concurred at the time of the transcript request
- copies of contract evaluations of all successfully completed studies/courses prior to November 2011
- a GETA (General Education Transcript Addendum), if your transcript is going to a SUNY school.
Effective with the Fall 1 2015 term, the summary page will include, from the Fall 1 2015 term forward, all grades awarded by the college, including grades of A to D-, F, as well as pass (P), no pass (NP), incomplete (IN), student-initiated withdrawal (WD), administrative withdrawal (ZW), repeated studies/courses and studies/courses in progress.
For studies/courses taken prior to the Fall 1 2015 term, the summary includes grades for successfully completed studies/courses only.
Note: Your degree program becomes part of your transcript once it has been concurred.
For information about ordering a transcript, go to http://www.esc.edu/registrar/forms-services/transcript-request/
* For studies/courses taken prior to Fall 1 2015, for which a student received an NC grade, the NC grade is not changed. NC grades are not included in the GPA calculation.
** If you have completed at least 8 credits, but your GPA is below 2.00, you may be placed on academic warning. If, while on academic warning, you are unable to regain a GPA of 2.00 or greater, after earning 16 additional credits at Empire State College (for a total of 24 credits), you will be academically dismissed. A 2.00 GPA is the minimum GPA required for graduation.