Updates Regarding the Student Accounting Records and Payment System
The progress of this work will be communicated on MyESC, Student Accounts.
Policy on New York State Residency
You may be considered a New York state resident for tuition purposes if you meet the following criteria:
- You attest to the fact that you are a New York state resident on your admissions application.
- You have lived in the state of New York for at least the full prior year and are considered a domiciled resident.
- If you attended an approved New York state high school for two or more years, graduated from an approved New York state high school and applied for admission to Empire State College within five years of receiving a New York state high school diploma; OR
- If you attended an approved New York state program for a general equivalency diploma exam preparation, received a GED and applied for admission to Empire State College within five years of receiving the GED.
Living in the state of New York alone does not meet the residency requirement.
The following are used to establish domicile:
- the duration of your physical presence in New York
- the state of residency of your family
- N.Y. state voter registration
- N.Y. state driver's license
- N.Y. state motor vehicle registration
- N.Y. state real property ownership
- N.Y. state residential rental lease
- N.Y. state income tax returns
If you believe you have established New York state residency and now qualify for in-state tuition rates, you must apply for a change of residency by completing the New York state residency application and provide three forms of documentation as outlined on the first page of this application.
New York Residency Status Form (PDF 146kB)
Completed residency applications must be submitted by the last date of add/drop for the term in which tuition is due. Applications received after the last date of add/drop will be reviewed and made effective the next term, if approved.
Note: You will need Adobe Reader to read PDF documents. If it is not installed on your computer, download it for free from Adobe.
For more information, visit the State University of New York policy titled "Residency, Establishment of for Tuition Purposes."
The mission of SUNY Empire’s Student Accounts is to provide the best possible customer service to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Contact the Student Information Center at 518-587-2100 or ...800-847-3000