Campus Based Programs and Eligibility Requirements

Students must:

  1. Be a citizen, national or permanent resident alien with a valid Social Security number. Students must verify their eligible non-citizen status upon request.
  2. For FSEOG, be a matriculated undergraduate student who has not already earned a bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
  3. Maintain good academic standing.
  4. For Federal Work Study, students must not be receiving support from a religious community, society, or order of which they are a member.
  5. Have exceptional financial need with a zero EFC (Expected Family Contribution) as determined by FAFSA results. Students who receive a federal Pell Grant must be given first priority for FSEOG.
  6. Not be in default on any federal loan borrowed while attending any institution at any time.
  7. Not owe a refund on a federal Pell Grant, FSEOG or federal Perkins Loan to any institution.
  8. Comply with Selective Service registration requirements.
  9. Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (G.E.D.) certificate, pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, or meet other standards your state establishes that are approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
  10. Not be enrolled in overlapping academic terms.

The regulations define an undergraduate as one who is enrolled in an undergraduate course of study and who has not earned a bachelor's degree or its equivalent or a first professional degree. (By "professional degree," we mean degrees offered by professional programs such as pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary programs or chiropractic programs.)

Occasionally, a student will complete the requirements for a bachelor's degree but will continue taking undergraduate courses without accepting the degree. The school must decide at what point it considers the student to have completed the bachelor's degree course of study - when the student completes the requirement for the degree, or when the student actually receives the degree. If the school considers the student to have completed the bachelor's degree course of study, the student is no longer eligible to receive a federal Pell Grant or a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Contact Us

Fax: 518-580-4863

Mailing Address: 
Empire State College
Financial Aid
1 Union Ave.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Questions? Contact the Student Information Center at 518-587-2100 or 800-847-3000.


Code: 010286
Name: SUC Empire State College

TAP Codes

Undergraduate Associate: 0916

Undergraduate Bachelor's: 0913

Graduate: 5680 (for graduate students applying for Veteran Tuition Awards)


Students planning to attend summer 2018, fall 2018 or spring 2019 should apply for financial aid for 2018-2019 by submitting the FAFSA.  The priority deadline to apply for financial aid for 2018-2019 was April 1, 2018, but we are still accepting and reviewing applications.

In order to process your financial aid eligibility by the spring term payment due date, you must have all applications in and any additional financial aid requirements/documents submitted and any student loans accepted by the deadline date of December 7, 2018

 Students planning to attend summer 2019, fall 2019 or spring 2020 may apply for aid early by submitting the 2019-2020 FAFSA on or after October 1, 2018.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF files on this site. If Acrobat Reader is not installed on your computer, you can download it for free from Adobe's site. If you are still unable to view the file, please contact us at or call 800-847-3000.

Take the Next Step

Ready to advance your education and career? There’s no time like the present. Apply now, or learn more about SUNY Empire at one of our information sessions.